Thursday, November 03, 2005

I hate white people

"So at SPU, in the autumn quarter of your freshman year, you have to take a University Seminar. They have USem's (as the cool kids call them) on all sorts of things, and mine is on ethical contreversies. The first issue we studied in the class was animal rights, and the one were just kicking up is abortion. I had never really given much thought to animal rights before, though I was always all for protecting the environment. But after some soul searching and really deep thought on morality a couple weeks, I decided I couldn't justify myself eating the flesh of conscious animals anymore. So for the past three and the half weeks, I have not eaten any meat with the exception of fish.

What's your reasoning behind this?, you ask inquisitively. The answer is multi-fold, I respond vehemently. And yes, this is just an excuse to say vehemous."

Hey look, kids, its a draft I wrote on October 17th! Eerie times.... Anyways, I guess I haven't really discussed my relatively new found vegetarianism. Basically, I've come to the conclusion that something has moral standing if it can suffer. Something can suffer if it has conciousness. Cows, pigs, chickens, and monkeys, among other things, have conciousness. Therefore, cows, pigs, chickens and monkeys have moral standing. Thus, they have a right to life. I, too, have conciousness, and have a right to life. However, meat is not a non-basic need for me, as I can live a healthy and nutritional life without it. Therefore, I do not eat cows, pigs, chickens, human babies, monkeys, and other things with conciousness. There are, of course, other social justice reasons to go along with this, but I don't really feel like talking about those reasons yet.

Anyways, another thing I originally wanted to talk about when I started my post, and hence titled it 'I hate white people', is slavery. Duude, slavery is terrible. The human race has done some bullshit bullshit things to eachother, and it really breaks my heart unbelievably. I don't really want to get into this much about the book on Frederick Douglas or anything else I'm reading because its super depressing and I'm not in the mood to feel all heavy and that jazz. However, one thing I'll probably be mentioning later and that I'm writing a term paper on is economic justice. And, yes, half the reason I'm mentioning this now is because I'm giving Bucholtz a chance to start researching and preparing and doing whatever he feels he needs to give him the slightest chance in the storm to come. I'm also disappointed with the lack of abortion arguments. YOU'RE GOING DOWN BOOSH. much love, later

4 comments:

dan brouwer said...

Oh man, swim shirt rashguards! I think I should really get some of those. Dave man keep at it, its good to hear you're stretching further out into the world, keep getting out of your comfort zone..its quite fun...sometimes hehe.

Mr. H said...

I don't want to be the Booshe in this situation (mostly because I don't think I could put as many solid points as Booshe would) but I have a few things to say about not eating meat. First of all, good for you, I respect and I'll encourage your descision to not eat meat. I disagree with how our "food" animals are brought up (i.e. chickens for KFC and cattle treated unhumanly) but we must see that it is their purpose. Well, it's not their purpose to suffer like they do, but to be food, yes. I have no idea where i'm going with this, it seems like you've convinced me.

Tamlin said...

ya he would. David's looking for a free willy sized spoon as it is. can't wait to rip his teeth into whale hide, eat his way to jonah.

Stewart said...

Dave, I think James has a point here. Although in the garden Adam and Eve may have been vegivores, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be food for you. And to the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground--everything that has the breath of life in it--I give every green plant for food. And it was so" (Genesis 1:29-30) but God gave us animals to eat and yes he did say that in the bible,Genesis 9:1-3 says: "Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. The fear and dread of you will fall upon all of the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands. Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, now I give you everything." NOw I know that you know this dave and I think that the real issue here is how animals are farmed for consumption. I have it on good authority that not every animal bread to be food for humans is not raised in the putrid conditions of some. All throughout history mankind has raised animals for their consumption and only recently has mankind transitioned to the inhumane treatment of these animals. So Dave, I greatly admire the selfcontrol and restraint that it would take to stop eating meat. I love it and I know that you have more reasons than what you've let on but maybe all of us should make a point of realizing what sort of practices we support with our purchases. visit greenpeace.org for an excellent shopping guide for humane and unaltered food products. Reimer Out.

Ps. just got my Restricted Marine Radio Operator's licence :) hence the OUT. peace